Did you know that the government offers grants to homeowners for certain improvements to their home. With a grant you don’t have to pay it back as it’s like free money you can use to improve or repair your home.
There are a few different types of grants available from the US government but not all of them are publicly available online. We listed some of the most popular ones on our site here.
If you may not qualify for any of the grants we listed on our site, you also have other options as well.
How to Apply
- Contact your local government office as they will be able to advise you about eligibility requirements and what the criteria is for certain grants that could be available to you. If you need help locating your local office, here is a list near you.
- Talk to a US government rep in your city and show them that you can’t afford the work necessary to repair or renovate your home. Be prepared to show an estimate for the work you’d like to have done. The local government rep will be able to tell you if you’re eligible for a home improvement or repair grant.
- Gather all the necessary information that is needed for the grant and request the grant application from the local government office or applying online from the list on our site.
- Once you have all the documentation and proof of your eligibility requirements, you can submit the application. Make sure to submit this by turning it in at your local government office or online before the deadline hits.
- It may take a few weeks or even months for you to receive an answer depending on the workload of the federal government and the number of grant applications they received. Be patient and waiting will hopefully pay off for you in the end of receiving your grant as long as you qualified.
Follow-up after some time if you haven’t received a response to check on the status. Typically you will receive any correspondence through the mail so keep an eye out for government documents by mail.